rebarinwater

rebarinwater
photo: L. Stacy Passmore

Monday, March 28, 2011

Anam School Site Design








My site is E. It's a school which needs to be designed as an outdoor classroom and also a park which could produce edible food.... According to the requirements of site design and my research of the site, I will focus on several aspects: education, flooding and hyacinth issues, technology, and agriculture, of course all of them need to develop with landscape architecture.

Diagram 1 shows the basis of my design, according to these lines to create interesting space and analyse the site. The second diagram shows the critique nodes which need to be considered first. These node will be sight focus, from there people could have a good sight view to different ways. So the third diagram shows the sight view. Based on the analysis of it I also create one focus node which is blue coloured on the right.

Diagram 4 shows the analysis of functional zoning. I try to put all the four aspects to my site reasonably. But after that, I found the different buildings are used for different level's students, for example, the north classrooms are for kindergarten and lower grade students, so it's not reasonable to locate agriculture area there. Based on this information, I change the playground and agriculture area. This will be expressed in my design.

Diagram 5 shows my main design idea about the school site. From DK and Stacy, I get useful information about the flooding information of the school. In one year, the school might be flooded for two months. So I need to design the boat station for the school. And in the original design, there is a round teaching area on the water.

Based on the analysis lines, I create an half open circle space to connect the teaching area and the boat station. Inside the circle area, I will plant hyacinth. One is to control its fast growing, one is to teach related information to students about phytoremediation, such as how to make hyacinth as biogas.... And around the west river side, I design wave steps to soft the hard line. For solve the problem of the flooding area, I design two low plaza with landscape. In normal days, it's playground for students;When it's flooded, it also could be a kind of landscape.


About the technology aspect, I design one interesting playground for the lower grade students, and one corridor area for students who need to use laptop outside. In these two area, water-storing smart material and phosphorescent access will be used. Based on the analysis lines, I recreate the river side line, and around it I design a long wooden access to give people the opportunity to see river scene. On the left of the football area, I design agriculture area to produce foods and to supply teaching area.

Basically I have finished the draft design about the site. There are still some questions which I need to figure out. I still have some questions about the site. For example,

What's the height of water in school when it's flooded?

About the waterway in the river, does it influence the boat transportation?

How do people walk in flooding school now? What's the situation about that?

Do the students often play outside when it's flooded?

During the flooding period, how do people keep the plants live?



1 comment:

  1. Lin this is Gorgeous. I'm thrilled to see you utilizing the projected lines from your site’s constraints as the opportunities that they truly are. You’ve demonstrated that the academy yard will possess a highly dynamic texture and three-dimensional experience... Are there certain advantages to this pixilation of the site that could be further enhanced? Is there hardscape wherever connectivity is required? (Keep our feet out of the mud?) can this site be more like a living machine? Can your "smart materials" be more informative at the small scale? Who has ownership over these spaces? What is the overarching “big Idea???”

    ReplyDelete